Addison County LST-31 - Sejarah

Addison County LST-31 - Sejarah


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Daerah Addison

Sebuah daerah di tengah barat Vermont.

(LST-31: dp. 3,960; 1. 328 '; b. 50'; dr. 14'1 "; s. 11.6 k.; Cpl. 119; a. 6 40mm., 12 20mm., 2 .30- cal. mg.; el. LST-1)

LST-31 ditetapkan pada 2 Februari 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 5 Jun 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Mauriee Endres diterima oleh Angkatan Laut dan ditempatkan dalam komisen berkurang pada; 0 Julai 1943, dan berlayar ke New Orleans di mana dia ditugaskan penuh pada 21 Julai 1943, Letnan John D. Schneidau, Jr, USNR, sebagai komando.

Kapal pendaratan tangki baru mula dilancarkan pada 29 Julai ke Panama City, Fla., Di mana dia melancarkan beberapa latihan pantai. LST-31 kembali ke New Orleans pada 7 Ogos untuk mengambil kargo untuk pengangkutan ke Pasifik. Setelah berlangsung sebentar di Teluk Guantanamo, Cuba, kapal itu melintasi Terusan Panama pada 24 Ogos dan bergabung dengan Armada Pasifik. Dia kemudian meneruskan perjalanan ke San Diego, Calif, di mana dia tiba pada 13 September.

Setelah mengikuti latihan pantai di kawasan San Diego, kapal berhenti di Port Hueneme dan di San Franciseo, Calif., Untuk menaiki kargo. Dia meninggalkan pantai barat pada 15 Oktober menuju Hawaii, sampai di Pearl Harbor pada 25, dan mula memunggah. Apabila tugas ini diselesaikan, LST ~ 31 kembali menggunakan sauh pada 5 November dan membentuk kursus untuk Kepulauan Gilbert. Sebagai anggota pasukan Amphibi ke-5, kapal itu dijadualkan untuk mengambil bahagian dalam serangan di Pulau Makin.

LST ~ 31 tiba di Makin pada 20 dan mula melepaskan pasukan dan kargo ke darat. Dia tetap berada di atol itu hingga 3 Disember, ketika dia mulai kembali ke Pearl Harbor. Tidak lama selepas kedatangannya, kapal memasuki Pearl Harbor Navy Yard untuk pembaikan dan perubahan. Sementara enjinnya sedang diperbaiki, senjata tambahan 40 milimeter dan 20 milimeter dipasang. Tempoh pekarangan berakhir pada awal Januari 1944, dan kapal yang telah diperbaharui kemudian mengambil bahagian dalam latihan latihan di Maui sebagai persiapan untuk pencerobohan awal di Kepulauan Marshall.

Kapal pendarat tangki meninggalkan Pearl Harbor pada 19 Januari dan memulakan perjalanan ke Kwajalein. Dia berlabuh di atol itu pada 1 Februari dan mulai melepaskan muatannya untuk menyokong operasi di Marshall. Pada 12 Februari, kapal itu mula memasuki pasukan tentera untuk menyerang Eniwetok dan, lima hari kemudian, disusun dengan LST Group 8. Dia pergi ke Eniwetok pada 20 dan mula mendarat tenteranya dan melepaskan kargo ke darat. LST ~ 31 kekal di sana sehingga 20 Mac, ketika dia memulakan perjalanan ke Hawaii. Dia berhenti dalam perjalanan di Kwajalein dan Tarawa untuk mengambil kargo dan penumpang dan akhirnya sampai di Pearl Harbor pada 15 April.

Setelah melakukan pembaikan di drydock di sana, dia kembali beroperasi pada 10 Mei dengan serangkaian latihan latihan di Teluk Hapuna, Hawaii. Pada 25hb, LST-31 meninggalkan perairan Hawaii, menuju ke Eniwetok. Setibanya di atol itu pada 7 Jun, dia mengisi minyak dan membawa muatan sebagai persediaan untuk operasi melawan Saipan. Kapal itu tiba di Saipan pada 14 Jun dan mula melepaskan pasukan dan bekalan ke darat. Dia membersihkan kawasan itu pada 23hb dan kembali ke Eniwetok untuk mengisi kargo.

LST ~ 31 tiba di Saipan pada 17 Julai; bekalan dan kraf kecil yang tidak dimuat; dan, selama beberapa minggu berikutnya, berfungsi sebagai kapal hospital. Pada waktu malam, dia berlabuh di Saipan untuk menerima kemudahan dan sedang berlangsung dari Tinian pada waktu siang. Tugasan ini menduduki kapal hingga 21 Ogos, ketika dia memulakan perjalanan pulang pergi ke Eniwetok. Setelah kembali ke Saipan, kapal itu menjalani tiga hari perjalanan dan mula berjalan pada 23 September untuk pantai barat Amerika Syarikat. Dalam perjalanan, dia menyentuh Eniwetok; Kepulauan Gilbert Kepulauan Apamama dan Makin; dan Pearl Harbor. Dia meninggalkan pelabuhan terakhir pada 6 November dan sampai di San Franciseco, Calif., Pada 17 November 1944.

Setelah satu hari di pelabuhan di sana, LST-31 berlayar ke San Pedro untuk memasuki pekarangan Pantai Barat Shipbuilding Co. untuk perubahan dan pembaikan yang luas. Kapal meninggalkan halaman pada awal Februari 1945 melakukan ujian laut, dan tiba di Mare Island Navy Yard Vallejo, Calif., Pada 18 Februari untuk menaiki kapal amfibi. Dia kemudian mengunjungi Seattle, Wash., Untuk kerja pembaikan tambahan. Pada 10 Mac, kapal itu mula bergerak ke Hawaii dan sampai di Pearl Harbor pada 23hb.

LST ~ 31 meninggalkan Hawaii pada 4 April untuk Okinawa. Dia menaiki penumpang dan memuatkan bekalan di Eniwetok dan Guam sebelum meneruskan perjalanan ke Ryukyus dan berlabuh di perairan di sebelah barat daya Okinawa pada 3 Mei. Dia tinggal di daerah itu selama kira-kira tiga minggu memberikan sokongan logistik kepada pasukan yang bertempur di Okinawa. Kapal itu tiba di UIithi pada 28 Mei, menaiki kargo dan, pada 2 Jun, memulakan perjalanan ke pulau Leyte di Filipina.

Selama bulan Jun, Juli, dan Ogos, LST-31 beroperasi antara Filipina dan Okinawa, mengangkut bekalan dan tentera antara dua titik untuk membangun Okinawa sebagai pangkalan penaklukan pulau-pulau asal Jepun. Walau bagaimanapun, pencerobohan ini dapat dihentikan ketika Jepun menyerah pada 15 Ogos. Kapal itu kemudian mula memindahkan pasukan dan peralatan pendudukan ke Jepun dari pelbagai tempat di Filipina. Dia pertama kali tiba di perairan Jepun pada 15 September, ketika dia menurunkan sauh di Teluk Tokyo.

Pada 30 November, LST-31 ditugaskan untuk bertugas di Jepun dengan Armada ke-5, Kumpulan Amphibious 11, LST Flotilla 35. Walau bagaimanapun, pesanan ini diganti pada akhir Disember dan kapal itu dijadualkan untuk dinyahaktifkan. Dia dijadualkan untuk diserahkan ke marinir pedagang Jepun untuk dikendalikan oleh kru Jepun yang berada di bawah kendali Amerika untuk digunakan dalam mengembalikan warga Jepang dan menghentikan bekalan antara pelabuhan Jepun. Setelah kapal dilucutkan dari semua persenjataan dan peralatan masa perang yang lain, LST-31 dinyahaktifkan pada 8 Januari 1946 dan dipindahkan ke Jepun.

Kapal ini beroperasi di bawah kawalan Jepun hingga Mei 1948. Dia meninggalkan Yokohama pada 3hb bulan itu dan berkongsi perjalanan ke pantai barat Amerika Syarikat. Kapal pendaratan tangki kemudiannya berlabuh di kawasan Seattle. Pada 1 Julai 1955, LST ~ 31 dinamakan Addison County. Namanya tercantum dalam senarai Angkatan Laut pada 11 Ogos 1955, dan dia kemudiannya menjadi sasaran.

Addison County memperoleh lima bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatannya dalam Perang Dunia II.


USS LST-31

USS Daerah Addison (LST-31) adalah seorang LST-1- kapal pendaratan tangki kelas yang dibina untuk Tentera Laut Amerika Syarikat semasa Perang Dunia II. Dinamakan untuk Addison County, Vermont, dia adalah satu-satunya kapal Tentera Laut A.S. yang menanggung namanya.

LST-31 diturunkan pada 2 Februari 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania oleh Dravo Corporation yang dilancarkan pada 5 Jun 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Maurice Endres yang diterima oleh Tentera Laut dan ditugaskan pada 10 Julai 1943 dan belayar ke New Orleans di mana dia berada ditugaskan dalam komisen penuh pada 21 Julai 1943 dengan Leftenan John D. Schneidau, Jr., USNR, sebagai komando.


Addison County LST-31 - Sejarah

LST-30 diletakkan pada 12 Januari 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 3 Mei 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan C. B. Jansen dan ditugaskan pada 3 Julai 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-30 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

LST-30 dinyahaktifkan pada 6 Mac 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Navy pada 8 Mei 1946. Pada 2 April 1947, dia dijual kepada W. Horace Williams Co., New Orleans, La., Dan ditukarkan untuk perkhidmatan pedagang .

LST-30 memperoleh satu bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-81 diletakkan pada 2 Februari 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 5 Jun 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Maurice Endres dan ditugaskan pada 21 Julai 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia 11, LST-31 bertugas di teater AsiaticPacific dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

Operasi Kepulauan Gilbert-November dan Disember 1943

Operasi Kepulauan Marshall:

(a) Pendudukan Kwajalein dan Majuro Atoll- Januari dan Februari 1944

(b) Pendudukan Eniwetok Atoll-Februari dan Mac 1944

(a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Saipan-Jun hingga Ogos 1944

Penangkapan dan pendudukan Tinian-Julai dan Ogos 1944

(a) Serangan dan pendudukan Okinawa Gunto-Mei 1945

Segera setelah perang, LST-31 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh hingga awal Januari 1946. Dia kembali ke Amerika Syarikat dan dinyahaktifkan pada 8 Januari 1946. Pada 1 Julai 1955, LST-31 dinamakan Addison County setelah sebuah daerah di Vermont. Namanya tercantum dalam senarai Angkatan Laut pada 11 Ogos 1955, dan dia tenggelam sebagai sasaran.

Addison County memperoleh lima bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II sebagai LST-31.

LST-32 diletakkan pada 17 Februari 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 22 Mei 1943 yang ditaja oleh Miss Dorothy M. Manko dan ditugaskan pada 12 Julai 1943, Letnan Gardner P. Mulloy sebagai komando.

Semasa Perang Dunia 11, LST-32 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

Pencerobohan di selatan Perancis-Ogos dan September 1944

LST-32 dinyahaktifkan pada bulan Julai 1946. Dia dilancarkan semula pada 7 Mac 1951. Pada 1 Julai 1955, LST

82 diberi nama Alameda County setelah sebuah daerah di California. Dia diklasifikasikan semula di Alameda County (AVB-1) pada 28 Ogos 1957, dinyahaktifkan pada 25 Jun 1962, dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Navy pada bulan yang sama. Pada 20 November 1962, dia dipindahkan ke Angkatan Laut Itali.

Alameda County memperoleh dua bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II sebagai LST-32.

LST-33 diletakkan pada 23 Februari 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 21 Jun 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Paul J. Walsh commis

disahkan pada 4 Ogos 1943 dan dipindahkan ke Angkatan Laut Yunani pada 18 Ogos 1943, di mana dia bertugas sepanjang baki Perang Dunia II. Dia dijual kepada pemerintah Yunani pada Januari 1947 dan bertugas di sana sebagai Samos (L- 179). Dia dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 23 Jun 1947.

LST-34 diletakkan pada 15 Mac 1943 di Pittsburgh ,, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 15 Jun 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Verne C. Cobb dan ditugaskan pada 26 Julai 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-34 bertugas di teater AsiaticPacific dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

Operasi Kepulauan Gilbert-November dan Disember 1943

Operasi Kepulauan Marshall:

(a) Pendudukan Kwajalein dan Majuro Atoll- Januari dan Februari 1944

(b) Pendudukan Eniwetok Atoll-Februari dan Mac 1944

(a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Saipan-Jun 1944

Pendaratan Leyte-Oktober dan November 1944

Pendaratan Lingayen di Luzon-Januari 1945

(a) Serangan dan pendudukan Okinawa Gunto - Mei 1945

Setelah perang, LST-34 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh dari bulan Mac hingga November 1946. Dia kembali ke Amerika Syarikat dan dinyahaktifkan pada 15 November 1946 dan dipindahkan ke Pemerintahan Tentera, Ryukyus. Namanya tercantum dalam senarai Angkatan Laut pada 23 Disember 1947. Dia berlari di Timur Jauh pada Januari 1949, dan bangkangnya ditinggalkan.

LST-34 memperoleh enam bintang pertempuran untuk serviee Perang Dunia 11.

LST-35 dibubarkan pada 20 Mac 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 30 Jun 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Samuel G. Cooper dan dipindahkan ke pemerintah Yunani pada 18 Ogos 1943 yang dengannya dia berkhidmat melalui baki Perang Dunia II. Dia dijual kepada pemerintah Yunani pada Januari 1947 dan bertugas di sana sebagai Chios (L-195). Namanya tersenarai dalam senarai Tentera Laut pada 23 Jun 1947.

LST-36 dibubarkan pada 21 April 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 10 Julai 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Franklin Keen dan dipindahkan ke pemerintah Yunani pada 23 Ogos 1943 dengan mana dia melayani selebihnya Perang Dunia II. Dia dijual kepada pemerintah Yunani pada Januari 1947 dan bertugas di sana sebagai Lemnos (L-158). Namanya tersenarai dalam senarai Tentera Laut pada 23 Jun 1947.

LST-37 dibubarkan pada 1 April 1943 di Pittsbu rgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 5 Julai 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan Jack Domb dan dipindahkan ke pemerintah Yunani pada 18 Ogos 1943. Dia lari di sekitar Bizerte , Tunisia, pada 1 Jun 1944, dan tenggelam. Namanya tersenarai dalam senarai Tentera Laut pada 12 Ogos 1948.

LST-38 diletakkan pada 14 April 1943 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 27 Julai 19.43 yang ditaja oleh Miss Bertha Karpinski dan ditugaskan pada 3 September 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-38 ditugaskan ke teater Asia-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

Operasi Kepulauan Marshall:

(a) Pendudukan Atol Kwajalein dan Majuro- Januari dan Februari 1,944

Operasi Kepulauan Bismarck,

(a) Pendaratan Kepulauan Admiralty pada bulan Mac dan April 1944

Operasi Hollandia-April 1944

(a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Guam-Julai 1944

Setelah perang, LST-38 telah dilantik semula LSTH38 pada 15 September 1945. Dia menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh hingga pertengahan November 1945.

Setelah kembali ke Amerika Syarikat, kapal itu dinyahaktifkan pada 26 Mac 1946 dan tersasar dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 1 Mei 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual ke Ships and Power Equipment Co., of Barber, NJ, dan kemudiannya dikikis.

LSTH-38 memperoleh empat bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II sebagai LST-38.

LST-39 ditetapkan pada 23 April 1943 oleh Dravo Corp. di Pittsburgh, Pa. Dilancarkan pada 29 Julai 1943. Ditaja oleh Puan LA Mertz dan ditugaskan pada 8 September 1943. Dia ditugaskan ke kawasan Pasifik semasa Perang Dunia II tetapi tidak ada tindakan pertempuran. Dia tenggelam pada musim panas 1944, dan dia tersingkir dari daftar Angkatan Laut pada 18 Julai 1944. Dia kemudian diganti, ditukar menjadi tongkang masalah alat ganti, dan didesain semula YF-1079. Dia berkhidmat dengan Angkatan Laut dalam kapasitas itu hingga suatu ketika antara bulan Julai 1945 dan Januari 1946, ketika itu YF-1079 hilang dari daftar Angkatan Laut.


Anugerah [sunting | sunting sumber]

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-31 bertugas di Teater Asiatik-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi Kepulauan Gilbert (November dan Disember 1943) operasi Kepulauan Marshall, (a) pendudukan Atol Kwajalein dan Majuro (Januari dan Februari 1944), dan (b) pendudukan Eniwetok Atoll (Februari dan Mac 1944) Operasi Marianas, (a) penangkapan dan pendudukan Saipan (Jun hingga Ogos 1944) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Tinian (Julai dan Ogos 1944) dan operasi Okinawa Gunto, serangan dan pendudukan Okinawa Gunto (Mei 1945). Daerah Addison memperoleh lima bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatannya dalam Perang Dunia II.


  • Bandar Hancock dari Vermont Historical Gazetteer.
  • Kerani Bandar Hancock:
    Surat: P.O. Kotak 100
    Fizikal: 48 Laluan VT 125 Hancock, VT 05748
    P: 802-767-3660
    F: 802-767-4370
    E: [email protected]
  • Bandar Leicester dari Vermont Historical Gazetteer. (laman rasmi)
  • Persatuan Sejarah Leicester - bertemu di Dewan Bandaran Leicester
  • Kerani Bandar Leicester:
    44 Rumah Sekolah Rd. Leicester, VT 05733
    P: 802-247-5961 x3
    F: 802-247-6501
    E: [email protected]

Addison County LST-31 - Sejarah

Dari Kamus Kapal Perang Naval Amerika, Vol. VII (1981), hlm. 569-731.

LST-1 ditetapkan pada 20 Julai 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 7 September 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Laurence T. Haugen, dan ditugaskan pada 14 Disember 1942, Letnan W. L. Chessman sebagai komando.

Semasa Perang Dunia I, LST-1 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Fasa operasi Anzio-Nettuno di pantai barat Itali-Januari hingga Mac 1944
  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

LST-1 dinyahaktifkan pada 21 Mei 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 19 Jun 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual kepada Ships Power and Equipment Co., dari Barber, N.J., untuk memo.

LST-1 memperoleh empat bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Il Perang Dunia.

LST-2 ditempatkan pada 23 Jun 1942 di Pittsburgh Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., Ia dilancarkan pada 19 September 1942 yang ditaja oleh Miss Nancy Jane Hughes dan ditugaskan pada 9 Februari 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-2 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Pendudukan Afrika Utara-awal tahun 1943
  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

LST-2 dinyahaktifkan pada 11 April 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 5 Jun 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual ke Bosey, Filipina.

LST-2 memperoleh empat bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-3 ditempatkan pada 29 Jun 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 19 September 1942, ditaja oleh Puan A. C. Harlow, dan ditugaskan pada 8 Februari 1943

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-S ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai hingga Ogos 1943
  • Pencerobohan di selatan Perancis-Ogos hingga September 1944

LST-3 dinyahaktifkan beberapa ketika selepas Perang Dunia II berakhir dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 19 Jun 1946. Pada 10 September 1947, dia dijual ke Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, MD, untuk memusnahkan.

LST-3 memperoleh dua bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-4 diletakkan pada 4 Julai 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 9 Oktober 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan J. Bartolo dan ditugaskan pada
14 Februari 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-4 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Operasi pantai barat Itali-Anzio-Nettuno mendarat maju Januari dan Februari 1944
  • Pencerobohan di selatan Perancis-Ogos dan September 1944

LST-4 dinyahkomunisasi suatu ketika selepas Perang Dunia II berakhir dan disingkirkan dari senarai Navy pada 19 Jun 1946. Pada 10 September 1947, dia dijual ke Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, MD, untuk memusnahkan.

LST-4 memperoleh empat bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-5 ditetapkan pada 12 Julai 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 3 Oktober 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Wanetta Rose Barker, dan ditugaskan pada 22 Februari 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-5 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

LST-5 dinyahaktifkan beberapa ketika selepas Perang Dunia II berakhir dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 1 Ogos 1947. Pada 7 Oktober 1947, dia dijual ke Tung Hwa Trading Co., Singapura, untuk memusnahkan.

LST-5 memperoleh tiga bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-6 diletakkan pada 20 Julai 1942 di Wilmington, Del., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 21 Oktober 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan H. E. Haven, dan ditugaskan pada 30 Januari 1943

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-6 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

Pada 17 November 1944, dia ditambang dan tenggelam dalam enam fathom air ketika dalam perjalanan dari Rouen, Perancis, ke Portland, England. Dia dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 22 Disember 1944.

LST-6 memperoleh tiga bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-7 diletakkan pada 17 Julai 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 31 Oktober 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Anna Marvin, dan ditugaskan pada 2 Mac 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-7 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Penjajahan Sisilia-Julai 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

LST-7 dinyahaktifkan pada 21 Mei 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 19 Jun 1946. Pada 7 Oktober 1947, dia dijual kepada Mr. L. Lewis Green, Jr. dari Charleston, S.C., untuk memo.

LST-7 memperoleh tiga bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-8 diletakkan pada 26 Julai 1942 di Pittsburgh Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 29 Oktober 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Anne H. Johnston, dan dipindahkan ke United Kingdom pada 22 Mac 1943.

LST-8 dikembalikan dari United Kingdom pada 1 Jun 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Navy pada 3 Julai 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual ke Bosey, Filipina.

LST-9 diletakkan pada 9 Ogos 1942 di Pittsburgh Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 14 November 1942 yang ditaja oleh Miss Katherine Moxin, dan dipindahkan ke United Kingdom pada 19 Mac 1943. LST-9 dikembalikan ke United Navy Navy pada 1 Jun 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Navy pada 3 Julai 1946. Pada 5 September 1948, dia dijual ke Bosey Filipina.

LST-10

LST-10 telah dirancang semula ARL-1 dan diberi nama Achelous (q.v.) pada 13 Januari 1943.

LST-11

LST-11 dibaringkan pada 8 Ogos 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 18 November 1942, ditaja oleh Miss Virginia Fowler, dan dipindahkan ke United Kingdom pada 22 Mac 1943

LST-11 dikembalikan ke Angkatan Laut Amerika Syarikat pada 13 Mei 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 5 Jun 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual ke Bosey, Filipina.

LST-12

LST-12 diletakkan pada 16 Ogos 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 7 Disember 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Joseph Fay dan dipindahkan ke United Kingdom pada 25 Mac 1943.

LST-12 dikembalikan ke Angkatan Laut Amerika Syarikat pada 5 Januari 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 20 Mac 1946. Pada 11 September 1947, dia dijual ke Washburn Wire Co., Philipsdale, R.I., untuk memo.

LST-13

LST-13 diletakkan pada 1 September 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa .. bv Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 1 Januari 1943, ditaja oleh Puan Jean A. Brackmann dan dipindahkan ke United Kingdom pada 3 April 1943.

LST-13 dikembalikan ke Angkatan Laut Amerika Syarikat pada 27 Februari 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 5 Jun 1946. Pada 14 Oktober 1947, dia dijual kepada Luria Brothers and Co., Inc., Philadelphia, Pa., untuk mengikis.

LST-14

LST-14 telah dirancang semula AGP-5 dan diberi nama Varuna (q.v.) pada 25 Januari 1943.

LST-15

LST-15 telah dirancang semula ARB-3 dan diberi nama Phaon (q.v.) pada 25 Januari 1943.

LST-16

LST-16 diletakkan pada 1 September 1942 di Wilmington, Del., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 19 Disember 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Lois M. Alexander dan ditugaskan pada 17 Mac 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-16 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Pendudukan Afrika Utara:
    (a) Operasi Tunisia Julai 1943
  • Penjajahan Sisilia-September 1943
  • Pendaratan Salerno-September 1943
  • Operasi pantai barat Itali:
    (a) Pendaratan maju Anzio-Nettuno-Januari dan Februari 1944
  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944

Setelah perang, LST-16 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh pada bulan September dan November 1945. Dia dinyahaktifkan pada 8 Mac 1946 dan disingkirkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 12 April 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual ke Kapal dan Power Equipment Co., dari Barber, NJ, untuk memo.

LST-16 memperoleh lima bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-17

LST-17 ditetapkan pada 21 September 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 8 Januari 1943, ditaja oleh Puan Sarah H. Bankson dan ditugaskan pada 19 April 1943, Letnan HB Gallagher, USCGR, dalam perintah.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-17 ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

Setelah perang, LST-17 melakukan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh secara berkala dari September hingga Disember 1945. Dia dinyahaktifkan pada 15 Januari 1946. Pada 15 November 1954, dia dipindahkan ke Komandan Ke-13 Daerah Angkatan Laut, untuk digunakan sebagai sasaran bergerak, dan tenggelam pada 15 Ogos 1956 oleh api torpedo.

LST-17 memperoleh satu bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-18

LST-18 ditetapkan pada 1 Oktober 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 15 Februari 1943, ditaja oleh Miss Ruth Watt, dan ditugaskan pada 26 April 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-18 bertugas di teater Asiatik-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Fasa pendudukan Finschhafen operasi New Guinea Timur-September 1943
  • Operasi Kepulauan Bismarck:
    (a) Cape Gloucester mendarat di New Britain-Disember 1943 dan Januari 1944
    (b) Pendaratan Kepulauan Admiralty-Mac dan April 1944
  • Operasi Hollandia-April dan Mei 1944
  • Operasi New Guinea Barat:
    (a) Kawasan Toem-Wakde-Sarmi-Mei 1944
    (b) Pulau Biak-Jun 1944
    (c) Pulau Noemfoor-Julai 1944
    (d) Cape Sansapor-Julai dan Ogos 1944
    (e) Pendaratan Morotai-September 1944
  • Pendaratan Leyte-Oktober dan November 1944
  • Pendaratan Lingayen di Luzon-Januari 1945
  • Penyatuan Filipina selatan
    (a) Pendaratan Pulau Palawan-Mac 1945
    (b) Pendaratan Kepulauan Visayan-Mac dan April 1945

Setelah perang, LST-18 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh hingga awal November 1945. Dia kembali ke Amerika Syarikat dan dinyahaktifkan pada 3 April 1946. Dia tersingkir dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 17 April 1946 dan dijual ke Suwannee Fruit & amp Steamship Co., dari Jacksonville, Fla., Pada 31 Oktober 1946 untuk penukaran kepada perkhidmatan pedagang

LST-18 memperoleh tujuh bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-19

LST-I9 diturunkan pada 22 Oktober 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 11 Mac 1943, ditaja oleh Puan Frances P. Gott, ditugaskan pada 15 Mei 1943 dan dilantik semula LSTH pada 15 September 1945.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-19 ditugaskan ke teater Asiatic-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Operasi Kepulauan Gilbert-November dan Disember 1943
  • Operasi Marianas:
    (a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Saipan-Jun dan Julai 1944
  • Penangkapan dan pendudukan Tinian-Julai 1944
  • Operasi Kepulauan Caroline Barat:
    (a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Kepulauan Palau selatan-September dan Oktober 1944

Setelah perang, LST-I9 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh pada bulan Oktober dan Disember 1945. Dia dinyahaktifkan pada 20 Mac 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 1 Mei 1946. Pada 5 Disember 1947, dia dijual ke Kapal dan Kuasa Equipment Co., dari Barber, NJ, untuk memo.

LST-19 memperoleh empat bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-20

LST-20 ditetapkan pada 5 Oktober 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 15 Februari 1943 yang ditaja oleh Miss Anne B. Sylvester, dan ditugaskan pada 14 Mei 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-20 bertugas di teater Asiatik-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Operasi Kepulauan Gilbert-November dan Disember 1943
  • Pendaratan Leyte-Oktober 1944
  • Pendaratan Lingayen di Luzon-Januari 1945
  • Operasi Okinawa Gunto:
    (a) Serangan dan pendudukan Okinawa Gunto-April 1945

Setelah perang, LST-20 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh hingga awal November 1945. Dia kembali ke Amerika Syarikat dan dinyahaktifkan pada 3 April 1946. Dia tersingkir dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 19 Jun 1946 dan dipindahkan ke Maritim Pentadbiran pada 8 Oktober 1947 untuk pelupusan dengan memo.

LST-20 memperoleh empat bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-21

LST-21 diletakkan pada 25 September 1942 di Wilmington, Del., Oleh Dravo Corp. yang dilancarkan pada 18 Februari 1943, ditaja oleh Puan Lillian M. Lloyd dan ditugaskan pada 14 April 1943.

Kapal pendaratan tangki ditugaskan ke teater Eropah dan mengambil bahagian dalam pencerobohan Normandia pada bulan Jun 1944.

Sekembalinya ke Amerika Syarikat, kapal itu dinyahaktifkan pada 25 Januari 1946 dan tersasar dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 19 Jun 1946. Dia dijual kepada Louis Feldman, dari Flushing, NY, pada 12 Mac 1948 dan kemudiannya dihancurkan.

LST-21 memperoleh satu bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-22

LST-22 ditempatkan pada 5 November 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 29 Mac 1943 yang ditaja oleh Puan WA Barnes, dan ditugaskan pada 29 Mei 1943, Letnan LN Ditlefsen, USCG, sebagai komando .

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-22 bertugas di teater Asiatik-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Operasi Timur New Guinea:
    (a) Pendudukan Saidor-Januari dan Februari 1944
  • Operasi Kepulauan Bismarck:
    (a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-Disember 1943, Januari dan Februari 1944
    (b) Pendaratan Kepulauan Admiralty-Mac dan April 1944
  • Operasi Hollandia-April dan Mei 1944
  • Operasi New Guinea Barat:
    (a) Operasi kawasan Toem-Wakde-Sarmi-Mei 1944
    (b) Operasi Pulau Biak-Mei dan Jun 1944
    (c) Operasi Pulau Noemfoor-Julai 1944
    (d) Operasi Cape Sansapor-Julai dan Ogos 1944
    (e) Pendaratan Morotai-September 1944
  • Pendaratan Leyte-Oktober dan November 1944
  • Pendaratan Lingayen di Luzon-Januari 1945

LST-22 kembali ke Amerika Syarikat dan dinyahaktifkan pada 1 April 1946. Dia dikeluarkan dari senarai Navy pada 17 April 1946 dan dijual kepada MingSung Industrial Co., Ltd., Shanghai, China, pada 3 Februari 1947 untuk menjadi ditukar untuk perkhidmatan peniaga.

LST-22 memperoleh enam bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-23

LST-23 diletakkan pada 27 Oktober 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 13 Mac 1942 yang ditaja oleh Puan Mary H. Miller dan ditugaskan pada 22 Mei 1943.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-23 bertugas di teater Asiatik-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Operasi Kepulauan Gilbert-November dan Disember 1943
  • Operasi Kepulauan Marshall:
    (a) Pendudukan Kwajalein dan Majuro Atolls-Februari 1944
  • Operasi Marianas:
    (b) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Saipan-Jun dan Julai 1944
  • Penangkapan dan pendudukan Tinian-Julai 1944
  • Operasi Kepulauan Caroline Barat:
    (a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Kepulauan Palau selatan-September dan Oktober 1944
  • Pendaratan Lingayen di Luzon-Januari 1945

Pada 15 September 1945, dia dilantik semula LSTH. Sejurus selepas perang, LSTH-23 menjalankan tugas pendudukan di Timur Jauh hingga awal Disember 1945. Dia kembali ke Amerika Syarikat dan dinyahaktifkan pada 24 Mei 1946. Dia tersingkir dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 3 Julai 1946 dan dijual ke Kaiser Co., Inc. Seattle, Wash., Pada 6 April 1948 kerana memo.

LSTH-23 memperoleh enam bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II sebagai LST-23.

LST-24

LST-24 ditempatkan pada 19 November 1942 di Pittsburgh, Pa., Oleh Dravo Corp., dilancarkan pada 17 April 1943, ditaja oleh Puan Marguerite E. Davis dan ditugaskan pada 14 Jun 1943

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-24 ditugaskan ke teater Asiatic-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Operasi Marianas:
    (a) Penangkapan dan pendudukan Guam- Ogos 1944
  • Operasi New Guinea Barat:
    (a) Pendaratan Morotai-September 1944
  • Pendaratan Leyte-Oktober dan November 1944
  • Operasi Okinawa Gunto:
    (a) Serangan dan pendudukan Okinawa Gunto - Mac dan Jun 1945

LST-24 dinyahaktifkan pada 26 Februari 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Tentera Laut pada 5 Jun 1946 Pada 23 Disember 1947, dia dijual kepada Humble Oil & amp Refining Co., Houston, Tex., Dan ditukarkan untuk perkhidmatan pedagang.

LST-24 memperoleh lima bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-25

LST-25 ditempatkan pada 12 Oktober 1942 di Wilmington, Del., Oleh Dravo Corp, dilancarkan pada 9 Mac 1943 yang ditaja oleh Miss Doily Hemphill, dan ditugaskan pada 3 Mei 1943, Letnan J. B. Holmes, USCG sebagai komando.

Semasa Perang Dunia II, LST-25 bertugas di teater Eropah dan Asia-Pasifik dan mengambil bahagian dalam operasi berikut:

  • Pencerobohan Normandia-Jun 1944
  • Operasi Okinawa Gunto:
    (a) Serangan dan pendudukan Okinawa Gunto - Mei 1945
  • Perkhidmatan Pendudukan Tentera Laut, Asia-September dan Oktober 1945 dan Mac 1946
  • Perkhidmatan China-Oktober 1945 dan Mac 1946

LST-25 dinyahaktifkan pada 2 Ogos 1946 dan dikeluarkan dari senarai Navy pada 8 Oktober 1946. Pada 31 Mac 1948, dia dijual kepada Kaiser Co., Inc. Seattle, Wash., Untuk memo.

LST-25 memperoleh dua bintang pertempuran untuk perkhidmatan Perang Dunia II.

LST-26

LST-26 was laid down on 16 November 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 31 March 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Mathilda B. Coulter and commissioned on 7 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-26 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Bismarck Archipelago operation:
    (a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943 and January 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April and May 1944
  • Western New Guinea operations:
    (a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation-May 1944
    (b) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944
    (c) Noemfoor Island operation-July 1944
    (d) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944
    (e) Morotai landings-September 1944
  • Leyte landings-October and November 1944
  • Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
    (a) Mindanao Island landings-March 1945

She saw service in China from 3 to 10 October 1945.

Following the war, LST-26 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946 and was sold to Arctic Circle Exploration, Seattle, Wash., on 17 June 1946 to be converted for merchant service.

LST-26 earned five battle stars for World War II service.

LST-27

LST-27 was laid down on 10 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 27 April 1943 sponsored by Mrs. R. R. Creed and commissioned on 25 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-27 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-27 was decommissioned on 9 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 15 December 1947, she was sold to the Rhode Island Navigation Co., of Newport, R.I., for scrapping.

LST-27 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-28

LST-28 was laid down on 8 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 19 April 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Michael Torick and commissioned on 19 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-28 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-28 was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1946. On 19 May 1948, she was sold to George H. Nutman, of Brooklyn, N.Y., for scrapping.

LST-28 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-29

LST-29 was laid down on 8 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 17 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. C. F. Lockton and commissioned on 10 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-29 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

LST-29 was decommissioned on 11 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 17 June 1946, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

LST-29 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-30

LST-30 was laid down on 12 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 3 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. C. B. Jansen and commissioned on 3 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-30 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operation:

LST-30 was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 2 April 1947, she was sold to W. Horace Williams Co., of New Orleans, La., and was converted for merchant service.

LST-30 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-31

LST-31 was laid down on 2 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 5 June 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Maurice Endres and commissioned on 21 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-31 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajulein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June through August 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

Immediately following the war, LST-31 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 January 1946. On 1 July 1955 LST-31 was named Addison County after a county in Vermont. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955, and she was sunk as a target.

Addison County earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-31.

LST-32

LST-32 was laid down on 17 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 22 May 1943, sponsored by Miss Dorothy M. Manko, and commissioned on 12 July 1943, Lt. Gardner P. Mulloy in command.

During World War II, LST-32 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-32 was decommissioned in July 1946. She was recommissioned on 7 March 1951. On 1 July 1955, LST-32 was assigned the name Alameda County after a county in California. She was reclassified Alameda County (AVB-1) on 28 August 1957, was decommissioned on 25 June 1962, and was struck from the Navy list that same month. On 20 November 1962, she was transferred to the Italian Navy

Alameda County earned two battle stars for World War II service as LST-32.

LST-33

LST-33 was laid down on 23 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. Launched on 21 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Paul J. Walsh, commissioned on 4 August 1943, and transferred to the Greek Navy on 18 August 1943, with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Samos (L-179). She was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-34

LST-34 was laid down on 15 March 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., launched on 15 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Verne C. Cobb, and commissioned on 26 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-34 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944
  • Leyte landings-October and November 1944
  • Lingayen landings on Luzon-January 1945
  • Okinawa Gunto operation
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - May 1945

Following the war, LST-34 performed occupation duty in the Far East from March to November 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and transferred to Military Government, Ryukyus. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 December 1947. She ran aground in the Far East in January 1949, and her hulk was abandoned.

LST-34 earned six battle stars for World War II service.

LST-35

LST-35 was laid down on 20 March 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 30 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Samuel G. Cooper and transferred to the government of Greece on 18 August 1943 with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Chios (L 195). Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-36

LST-36 was laid down on 21 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 10 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Franklin Keen, and transferred to the government of Greece on 23 August 1943 with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Lemnos (L-158). Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-37

LST-S7 was laid down on 1 April 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 5 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Jack Domb, and transferred to the government of Greece on 18 August 1943. She ran aground off Bizerte, Tunisia, on 1 June 1944, and sank. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 August 1948.

LST-38

LST-38 was laid down on 14 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 27 July 1943 sponsored by Miss Bertha Karpinski and commissioned on 3 September 1943.

During World War II, LST-38 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Bismarck Archipelago operation:
    (a) Admiralty Islands landings-March and April 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944

Following the war, LST-38 was redesignated LSTH-38 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships and Power Equipment Co., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.

LSTH-38 earned four battle stars for World War II service as LST-38.

LST-39

LST-39 was laid down on 23 April 1943 by the Dravo Corp. at Pittsburgh, Pa., Iaunched on 29 July 1943 sponsored by Mrs. L. A. Mertz, and commissioned on 8 September 1943. She was assigned to the Pacific area during World War II but saw no combat action. She sank in the summer of 1944, and she was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was later refloated, converted to a spare parts issue barge, and redesignated YF-1079. She served the Navy in that capacity until sometime between July 1945 and January 1946, by which time YF-1079 disappeared from the Navy list.

LST-40

LST-40 was laid down on 3 June 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., launched on 7 August 1943 sponsored by Miss Hilda Sambolt, and commissioned on 15 September 1943.

During World War II, LST-40 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Consolidation of the Solomon Islands:
    (a) Consolidation of southern Solomons- June 1943
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and August 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

Following the war, LST-40 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 February 1946. In February 1947, she was transferred to the United States Military Government Korea, as a sale, and was struck from the Navy list on 5 March that same year.

LST-40 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-41

LST-41 was laid down on 24 May 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 17 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Mary Spisak and commissioned on 24 September 1943, Lt. W. B. Dundon, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-41 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944
  • Western Caroline Islands operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
  • Luzon operation:
    (a) Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945

Following the war, LST-41 was redesignated LSTH-41 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 25 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 8 October 1947, she was sold to J. C. Berkwit & Co., of New York City, N.Y.

LSTH-41 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-41.

LST-42

LST-42 was laid down on 17 June 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 17 August 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. M. Leslie, and commissioned on 30 September 1943, Lt. Roy L. Guy in command.

During World War II, LST-42 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation July 1944
  • Western Caroline Islands operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
  • Iwo Jima operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima- February and March 1945

Following the war, LST-42 was redesignated LSTH-42 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until early April 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1946. On 26 March 1948 she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LSTH-42 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-42.

LST-43

LST-43 was laid down on 19 June 1943 at Philadelphla, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 28 August 1943 sponsored by Mrs. C. A. Hill and commissioned on 6 October 1943. She was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater during World War II and participated In the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls from 31 January to 8 February 1944. On 21 May 1944, she was lost through an accident. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was raised but deemed beyond economical repair and was subsequently sunk by torpedoes in 1945.

LST-43 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-44

LST-44 was laid down on 7 July 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 11 September 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. E. Haeberle, and commissioned on 22 October 1943.

During World War II, LST-44 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Following the war she performed occupation duty in the Far East anl sernce in China until mid-February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 February 1946. In 1947, she was transferred to the United States Army and was destroyed on 23 July 1947, cannibalized and scrapped. On 28 August 1947, her name was struck from the Navy list.

LST-44 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-45

LST-45 was laid down on 27 June 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 31 August 1943 sponsored by Miss Lois C. Donnelly and commissioned on 15 October 1943.

During World War II, LST-45 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajelein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June through August 1944
    (b) Tinian capture and occupation-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa assault-March through June 1945

Following the war, LST-45 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 30 November 1948 and struck from the Navy list on 22 December that same year. On 25 February 1949, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

LST-45 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-46

LST-46 was laid down on 20 July 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 16 September 1943, sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Edson, Jr. and commissioned on 3 November 1943.

During World War II, she was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater where she took part in the Okinawa assault in June 1945. Following the war, LST-46 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until midMay 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 13 February 1948, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines, and resold to T. Y. Fong on the same date.

LST-46 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-47

LST-47 was laid down on 30 July 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 24 September 1943 sponsored by by Mrs. Clarence H. Vant, and commissioned on 8 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 26 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-47 performed occupation duty in the Far East in the fall and winter of 1945 and early January 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 January 1946 and transferred to the United States Army the same day. She was assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 and redesignated USNS LST-47. USNS LST-47 was transferred to the Philippine Navy on 13 September 1976.

LST-47 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-48

LST-48 was laid down on 8 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 2 October 1942 sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Stacey and commissioned on 16 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 30 May and 10 June 1945. Following the war, LST-48 performed occupation duty in the Far East during the winter of 1945 and 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 8 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1947. On 27 May 1948 she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethiehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-48 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-49

LST-49 was laid down on 17 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 9 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Kathryn Saban and commissioned on 20 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 8 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-49 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until mid-March 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. She was sold to Bosey Philippines, on 4 December 1947.

LST-49 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-50

LST-50 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 16 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Tito Tarquinio and commissioned on 27 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 18 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-50 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 September 1952. On 14 November 1952, she was redesignated ARB-13 and transferred to Norway as Ellida (A-534). She was returned to the United States on 1 July 1960 but was retransferred to Greece on 16 September 1960, and served with the Greek Navy as Sakipia (A-329).


Welcome to Addison County Vermont Sejarah dan Salasilah

Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data and placing it online for the free use of all researchers.

WE REGRET THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO DO PERSONAL RESEARCH FOR YOU.

We're looking for folks who share our dedication to putting data online and are interested in helping this project be successful. If you are interested in joining our group, view our Volunteer Page for further information and then contact Nancy Piper .

If you are not interested in becoming a host, but do have information to add to our website, email me, Nancy Piper . I will be happy to help your obituaries, news items and other historical data find its new home here at Vermont Trails History and Genealogy.

Past Updates Recent Updates
Disember 2020
Biography: Bennett S. Brown

September 2020
Death Notice: Mrs. Harriot Eliza Hawley, Elijah Tyler
News-Fires: Patrick Burgin's Barn Destroyed by Fire

1790 Addison Twp Federal Census - Sorted by Head of Household - Contributed by Jo Ann Scott

1790 Federal Census - Entire Census - Transcribed by Linda Natale SEJARAH

Swift's 1859 History Chapter II: County Seats, County Buildings, Courts, Changes of the Judiciary MILITARY

Addison County Military Casualties (WWII Army, Vietnam and Korean war casualties) - Contributed by Tammy Clark


Addison County, Vermont

Addison County is a county located in the state of Vermont. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 36,821. Its shire town is Middlebury.

Etymology - Origin of Addison County Name

The History of Addison County by H.P. Smith, 1886, D. Mason and Co. states that Addison County ". was named in honor of Joseph Addison, the English author. " The Addison family continues to thrive in England and has written us with the information that Joseph lived from 1672 to 1719 and left these words for us: Happiness is something to do, something to love, something to hope for! Addison is buried in Westminster Abby.

Demografi:

Addison County History

Addison County was organized 18 Oct 1785 from Rutland County.
County Seat: Middlebury

In 1609, the French explorer Samuel de Champlain entered the 136-mile lake that would bear his name. Before the end of 17th century, a small stone fort was built at Chimney Point near what is now West Addison on Lake Champlain. It was the first settlement in Vermont. The fort was occupied by the French and then the British. During the Revolutionary War, Lake Champlain was the scene of bitter battles and those living in the area were captured or driven away. One such event happened in May of 1775 Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys, along with Benedict Arnold rowed across the Lake to captured Fort Ticonderoga from the British.

Iroquois settled in the county before European arrived in 1609. French settlers in Crown Point, New York extended their settlements across Lake Champlain. A few individuals or families came up the lake from Canada and established themselves at Chimney Point in 1730. In 1731, at Cross Point Fort Frederic was erected. In the year 1759, General Amherst occupied Cross Point and British settler's settlers came in. The Battle of Bennington in Bennington, fought on August 16, 1777, brought a turning point for the American independence against British.

Finally, in 1783, peace was declared, settlers began to return and new communities were formed. Addison County was established on October 18, 1795 and encompassed most of the lands in northwestern Vermont bounded by Lake Champlain.

This county was established by act of the Legislature October 18, 1785 at the period of Vermont Republic. In 1791, Vermont joined the federal union after the original thirteen colonies. When Vermont was admitted to the Union in 1791, the size of the County was reduced to its present area with a population of about 6,400 settlers.

Geografi: Tanah dan Air

As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 808 square miles (2,093 km 2 ), of which, 770 square miles (1,995 km 2 ) of it is land and 38 square miles (99 km 2 ) of it (4.72%) is water. The primary stream of the county is Otter Creek, which runs through the county from the south to the north.

Neighboring Counties

Bordering counties are as follows:

  • Chittenden County, Vermont - north
  • Washington County, Vermont - northeast
  • Orange County, Vermont - east
  • Windsor County, Vermont - southeast
  • Rutland County, Vermont - south
  • Washington County, New York - southwest
  • Essex County, New York - west

Pendidikan

Addison County has the following high schools:

Vergennes Union High School in Vergennes
Mt. Abe Union High School in Bristol
Middlebury Union High School in Middlebury
Middlebury Union Middle School in Middlebury

Addison County is also home to two institutions of higher learning, Middlebury College and the Community College of Vermont, both located in Middlebury


Bridport Genealogy (in Addison County, VT)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Bridport are also found through the Addison County and Vermont pages.

Bridport Birth Records

Bridport Cemetery Records

Bridport Census Records

Federal Census of 1940, Bridport, Vermont LDS Genealogy

United States Federal Census, 1790-1940 Family Search

Bridport Church Records

Bridport Death Records

Bridport Immigration Records

Bridport Land Records

Bridport Marriage Records

Bridport Newspapers and Obituaries

Bridport Sun 1901-1915 Newspapers.com

Bridport Probate Records

Vermont, Addison County and District Probate Files, 1845-1915 Family Search

Additions or corrections to this page? We welcome your suggestions through our Contact Us page


Addison

Like the Indians before them, the first white settlers made their homes near rivers and groves of native timber that gave them the fuel and water needed for survival. The first pioneers in what is now Addison Township were Hezekiah Dunklee (also spelled Duncklee) from Hillsborough, New Hampshire, and Mason Smith from Potsdam, New York. They arrived in Chicago September 3, 1833, having traveled by land from Detroit. They left Chicago five days later, and following a northwest trail made the year before by General Winfield Scott’s army through twenty miles of flat, grassy marshland and prairie, they came to a large grove of trees located on the eastern bank of a river, which later became known as Salt Creek. After surveying the land to the west of the river, they returned to the north end of the grove.

On May 25, 1834, Bernhard Joachim Koehler and his family settled east of Dunklee’s Grove on the present site of the River Forest Country Club. On that same day the Friedrich Graues settled south of the grove. These two families were the first of a large German influx during the next few years. Others to follow were the Stuenkels, the Krages, the Roter­munds, the Kruses, the Fienes, and the Buchholzes.

Most of the necessities of life were produced on the farms, but often the pioneers had to travel to Chicago to buy other provisions. With no roads through the prairie, travel was difficult. Many walked the eighteen miles to Chicago.The Des Plaines River flooded after heavy rains, and at those times such travel was impossible. Wells were dug by hand, often to a depth of thirty or forty feet, and a windmill was built to pump the water. If there was not enough wind, pumping was done by hand.

In 1839 Dunklee’s Grove became part of Washington Precinct. When township organization was adopted in 1849, Washington Precinct became known as Addison Township.

Daripada 1874 Atlas & History of DuPage County, Illinois.

After the first pioneers settled, other friends and relatives came to claim lands. In 1837 there were thirty families living in the Dunklee’s Grove area. By 1844 there were 200 people living in the vicinity. Gradually businesses were established, such as a steam grist mill, a general store, a cobbler’s shop and a blacksmith shop. In 1867 the Heidemann Mill was constructed in Addison to serve the residents who had been taking their grain to surrounding communities to be ground.

By 1853 state laws enabled school districts to be formed, and District 4 came into being with the building of its first public school in 1858. Peter Nikel was the teacher. The building was located on the southwest corner of Addison and Army Trail roads. Today it is part of the Edward Green home. The German population of Addison Township formed a church in 1838 which was called the German United Reformed Lutheran Congregation of Dunklee’s Grove. In 1849 the first church school building was erected in Addison, near the corner of Army Trail Road and May Street.

In 1864 the Evangelical Lutheran Teachers’ Seminary was built in Addison to train teachers for the Lutheran school system. Their lecture hall, which opened in 1885, included a chapel, and it was here that the residents of Addison worshipped from 1893-1906. In 1906 the Lutheran congregation built the St. Paul Church along Army Trail Road near Lake Street.

In 1874 the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Home was built to “raise, train, and educate orphans, half orphans and other children entrusted to its care.” All children from the Orphan Home who were of school age went to St. Paul’s Christian Day School. After graduation from the eighth grade, the girls would remain in the Home for work and future training. The boys were placed on farms, truck farms or in greenhouses to work.

In 1884 the village of Addison became incorporated. The population at the time was 400. The first president was Henry Buchholz, who served in that position from 1884 to 1891. In 1890 five Addison men formed the Addison Railroad Company, Inc. These were William Leeseberg, Louis Stuenkel, Edward Rotermund, Professor Johann Backhaus, and H. Z. Zuttermeister. Stock capital amounted to $5,000. A charter was issued on July 16, 1890, for the right to a stretch of land from today’s North Avenue into Addison to build a railroad track. In agreement was made with the Illinois Central Railroad officials to provide the railroad bed and equipment and to maintain and operate the railroad for fifty years from that date. The cost of the whole right-of-way was $16,488.90. The first train came to Addison for the Orphan Home Picnic on September 12, 1890.

Illinois Central Train in Addison on “Orphan Home Festival Day.” Courtesy Historical Museum of Addison.

Telephone service became available in 1895. Addison’s first bank, the Addison State Bank, opened in 1902. In 1912 the Public Service Company of Northern Illinois brought in light and power lines. Electric street lights burned in Addison for the first time on February 1 That same year the Western United Gas and Electric Company brought gas lines into the area.

In 1913 the Lutheran Teachers’ Seminary moved out of Addison to River Forest, where it is now known as Concordia College. The Seminary had been a vital part of Addison’s history for almost fifty years. The Seminary buildings were purchased by the Chicago City Mission Society as a home for dependent children who had had little opportunity for moral, mental or physical development. The children, who were referred by the juvenile courts, were moved from Chicago to Addison in 1916. This became known as the Addison Manual Training School for Boys and the Industrial School for Girls, known generally as the Kinderheim.

Illustrations by Vivian Krentz. Graphics by Ron Carringi.

Street improvements began in the late 19th century. During the 1920s roadways were improved and the automobile made its appearance. The former muddy roads and dusty trails gave way to gravel and concrete roads, and the population patterns began changing. With better routes and the railroad, people were building their homes along the roads.

Two lanes of Lake Street were paved in 1922. A narrow gauge railroad was built along Lake Street to the quarry in Elmhurst to bring gravel and cement to the site. When the roadwork was completed, these tracks were removed. Because of the desire to thoroughly modernize the town, a water system was installed in 1924.

Also, by 1924 the Kinderheim had outgrown the structures which had housed the Seminary, and the building was torn down to make room for a new two-story brick building to house the young people of Kinderheim. This was completed in 1925. Today that structure serves as the municipal building and houses the police department.

Plass Garage. Arthur Krage, George Rathje, George Plass, Warren Web stand before the Ford Agency in 1925. Courtesy Historical Museum of Addison.

Increased traffic along Lake Street prompted the widening of the road in 1930 to forty feet all the way from Cook County line to Ontario­ville, a distance of 12’h miles, and the constructing of a three-span bridge over Salt Creek at Lake Street. Addison was served by the Marigold Bus Line, which came from Chicago every hour on the hour. It followed the same route that had been used in 1837 by the Frink and Walker Line on its way toward Galena, these stage coaches having stopped for a change of horses in Addison.

During the 1930s Addison, as well as the rest of the country, was plunged into the Great Depression. In Addison the bank was forced to close, although in 1933 enough money was raised (between $8,000 and $9,000) to meet legal requirements, and the bank was again able to open for business. The residents of Addison were able to weather the lean years by raising food for their tables, and by taking any job, no matter how small the pay.

The years of World War II brought prosperity once again to the community. Again the men of Addison served proudly in all the services. There were 86 of them in the war. Miraculously, all of them returned safely. Among the Addison residents who had been taken prisoner were Lester Rotermund in Germany, and William Stuenkel in Italy. There were two casualties among those who came from the area outside of Addison: Wilbur Backhaus, who was killed in the Battle of the Bulge and Ernst Ellerbruch who was killed in Sicily.

When World War II ended and the servicemen began returning from overseas, a housing shortage developed. The “G. I. Bill” gave young families the opportunity to purchase homes, and the “baby boom” of the post-war years brought many new residents to Chicago’s suburbs. The population in 1950 was 823. By 1963 it had reached 13,272. Generating a marked increase in village revenue, this growth affected the construction industry and also created additional demands for village services. Schools were soon unable to accommodate the large number of young children, and population projections indicated a need for future expansion of the school system.

School District 4 constructed a building in a second location in 1957, and in that same year St. Joseph Catholic Parish also opened a grade school. From that date, when Fullerton School was built, until 1972 the number increased to nine public grade schools and one junior high school.

In 1965 a second Catholic grade school, St. Philip the Apostle, was built. In 1966 there were two secondary schools built, Addison Trail High School and Driscoll Catholic High School.

Additional religious facilities were added to serve the increased population. Originally most of the residents had been German Lutherans, and the few Catholic families attended church in Elmhurst. As the number of families increased, so did the diversity of faiths. Between 1954 and 1965 there were seven churches of different denominations built.

The “G. I. Bill” was also used by many of the returning servicemen after World War II. Addison established an industrial park with a railroad line that ran into the area. Highways were being improved, and the short distance from O’Hare Airport was an attraction to many manufacturers who built in the park. These additional plants, in turn, brought more people to Addison to live. Many of the farmers surrounding Addison began to sell their farms as property values rose and their taxes increased accordingly.

Prior to 1950 there were few parks and playgrounds in Addison however, as developers subdivided the land, they were encouraged by village officials to set aside areas in each subdivision to be used as parks. In 1958 the Central Park Committee was formed. This was a volunteer group of homeowners who helped establish and maintain parks. The Addison Recreation Club, another volunteer group, began working with Addison’s youth in the early 1950s. In 1965 Addison voters approved a referendum to establish a park district, which now owns over 200 acres of land at eighteen sites and offers activities for residents of all ages, from tots to senior citizens.

In 1962 a public library was established in the municipal building. In 1968 a new building was constructed along Lake Street at Kennedy Drive to house the Addison Public Library.

The banking industry also grew along with the population. Before 1950 the Addison State Bank was the only bank in Addison. As population and businesses increased, the need for additional financial services brought the opening of six other banks or saving and loan associations to the village.

The building industry that began flourishing after World War II concentrated on single-family homes in Addison. More recently developers have obtained permits to build multiple family homes, apartments, townhouses and condominiums. Decreasing availability of land and rising construction costs have contributed to this trend. Today shopping centers have replaced the earlier “general stores.” Shops and restaurants have opened specializing in ethnic goods for an increasingly diverse population.

Also, the schools, with an increased enrollment of children from families new to this country, have had to include bilingual courses in their curriculum. High technology advances have caused many services and business establishments to turn to computers and new training programs for their personnel. Addison’s special education organization, the Ray Graham Association, its Lutherbrook (successor to the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Home), its assistance programs through the Community Switchboard, its support for cultural growth through the arts programs are all a part of Addison’s response to varying needs.

To summarize, during the past 150 years Addison has grown from a few hardy settlers planting their crops to a town of 30,000 citizens engaged in a multitude of occupations. The quiet hamlet where everyone knew everyone else has given place to a suburb bustling with activity. Today, as it has been throughout its history, Addison is a caring community.

Pearl Morris and Vivian Krentz are co-authors of AddisonVillage of Friendship, the community’s centennial book.